Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Sleepy Disciples
















I recently remembered what I had seen the last time I read the gospels. I was struck by this in Luke 22:44-46










~~~~ And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. When He rose up from prayer, and had come to His disciples, He found them sleeping from sorrow. Then He said to them, “Why do you sleep? Rise and pray, lest you enter into temptation.” ~~~~~

The disciples were sleeping from SORROW --- somehow I had missed that in my other readings.

I'm rather amazed at that because I usually think less of them for falling asleep (as if I would have done much better). Probably not if I were honest. The flesh is indeed weak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have gone through quite a bit of trials, and I know that emotions can certainly make you tired.

I know that I would not have been able to stay awake...yet, I ponder the same thoughts as you Clevsea...the flesh is weak while the spirit is willing.

I would like to thank you Clevsea, for the encouraging words you left over my place, I knew that the friendship was coming to an end, it was I that kept stalling.

He showed me to just let go and I am at peace now.

Thank you,

Mrs. M.